Bhupen Borah Surrendered, Congress Will Fight to Remove Himanta: Gaurav Gogoi

Guwahati, February 18: Senior Congress leader Gaurav Gogoi launched a sharp attack on Himanta Biswa Sarma following the resignation of Bhupen Borah from the Congress party and his subsequent decision to join the BJP.

Bhupen Borah Surrendered, Congress Will Fight to Remove Himanta Gogoi
Congress leader Gaurav Gogoi addresses a public gathering in Assam, launching a sharp attack on the BJP leadership. (Image: facebook.com/gauravgogoiasm)

Reacting to Borah’s move, Gogoi said there had long been rumours about a close relationship between Sarma and Borah, which the Congress had initially chosen not to believe. He questioned how details of confidential party meetings allegedly reached a journalist close to the Chief Minister, claiming that recent developments have confirmed those suspicions.

Gogoi alleged that Borah joined the BJP without hesitation a day after resigning from Congress, describing the move as a “surrender” to the Chief Minister. He further accused Sarma of attempting to divert public attention amid questions being raised about alleged large-scale land holdings linked to his family.

ALSO READ: Dimasa Students Oppose Proposed Bifurcation of Dima Hasao on Communal Lines

According to Gogoi, the Congress party has been actively highlighting alleged irregularities related to what he termed a “real estate empire” of the Chief Minister. He claimed that the political development was aimed at distracting the public from these issues but asserted that it would not affect the party’s campaign.

“We will continue our fight and remove Himanta Biswa Sarma from the seat of power,” Gogoi said, reiterating the party’s resolve.

He also pointed out that Sarma had earlier criticised Borah over alleged inappropriate public conduct, for which an inquiry by the Women’s Commission is reportedly underway. Gogoi questioned the BJP’s current stance, suggesting inconsistency in its position.

Previous Post Next Post